I Still Don't "Get" It

Caroline Baum of Bloomberg summarizes my ideas of stimulus and government spending far better than I have. She also touches on the morality/consitutionality of this issue, something I hope to weigh in on tonight or later in the week.

Again, maybe I'm just an ignorant layman, but the arguments of Romer, Krugman and other neo-Keynesians strike me as ivory tower, academic economist-in-a-bubble wishful thinking. I'm very open-minded though, so I really want to try and "get" these arguments.

I'm trying to get at the heart of the matter, but every time I think I do, a new layer emerges. So here is where I stand now. The point of stimulus is to keep GDP and employment numbers up. And based on the way economists measure these aspects of the economy, they should go up.

Two problems. The first, as I've alluded to before, is methodology. If economists setup the model GDP = C + I + G + (X - M) and it is accepted as legitimate (whether it actually is legitimate as a measurement is a whole other matter), to counteract the fall in C and I is most easily done by increasing G. So this is done. Then economists measure it, and presto!, GDP is as it was before and G has saved the day. But this is asinine. It's like saying if my income falls dramatically I can just borrow and spend until I'm back on my feet. This isn't how the real world works.

Secondly, and more importantly, and accepting the whole spending/GDP argument to begin with (which I don't), so what? In other words, what are the real effects? What real value is being created? What is the opportunity cost of taking this money out of the private sector? What will the future costs of borrowing be?

The crux of my stance: A "job" is an action (not a thing) one private party pays another private party to perform with that party's own money because they deem the end result of that job more valuable than the price (wage) they are paying for it. When the paying party no longer feels the product of the labor is worth the wage, then the job no longer exists.

A job is not money coercively taken from some (private actors) by another (government) then paid to others (special interests) to perform arbritary tasks government deems worth paying said special interests to perform. This is not valuable. This is not productive. It is only legalized thievery and the redistribution of wealth under the subtle guise of "stimulus" and "helping the common man".

As Milton Friedman said, nobody spends money as wisely as the owner of that money when they spend it on themselves.

Rob, tell me where I'm wrong because I'm sure I'm missing something or am misrepresenting something.

No comments:

Post a Comment